Friday, March 14, 2008

And so it begins.....


March madness for the Kansas faithful officially begins tonight. And like all Kansas fans, I am very optimistic this year (like every year). There is something about being a Kansas fan that makes it impossible to place anyone other team in the winner's box in my bracket. Much like Boston Red Sox fans I would assume.
Unlike a Red Sox fan, I have never experience the highs of watching my team win the big one. I was not a KU fan in 1988 when Danny and the Miracles brought it home. And since becoming a fan after enrolling at KU in 1994, I have witnessed only disappointment at the end of the season. This leads to two things.
First, I am forced to laugh at myself when I actually feel disappointed when the 'Hawks ONLY make it to the final four or the elite eight. Not many teams around the country have enjoyed the level of success that KU has enjoyed. And most teams and their fans would love to make it past the first and/or second weekend of the tourney. This year I will tell myself that it doesn't matter how far KU goes (as long as they don't get beat in the first round) and I will be happy with the season as a whole. But that is a lie and I am incapable of actually feeling happy after KU loses.
The Second thing about KU getting so close to winning it all in most years is that I hate, absolutely HATE any team that beats KU in the tourney. For example, I never really cared about U of A basketball, but after the 1997 tourney, I hate them. The same with Rhode Island (1998), Kentucky (1999), Duke (2000), Illinois (2001 - I was in Chicago at the time, so it was even more painful), Maryland (2002 - final four), Syracuse (2003 - final game), Georgia Tech (2004 - final four, OT), and UCLA (2007). And ALL self-respecting KU fans get a sharp pain when they hear about Bradley (1st round loss in 2006) and Bucknell (1st round loss in 2006).
But KU basketball is amazing. KU's history is UNMATCHED and you can trace the roots of a slew of major program to KU. For example:
-Dr. Naismith, the inventor of the game was KU's first coach
-Adolf Rupp (of Kentucky fame) was a reserve on the basketball team under legendary coach Dr. Forrest "Phog" Allen from 1919 to 1923.
-Dean Smith (of Carolina fame) played for Kansas in the early 50's and won the national championship in 1952 and finished second in 1953.
So this year, I am not going to worry about the results, I am just going to enjoy the game(s). And if you believe that.........

No comments: